Friday, August 29, 2014

Do You Have Something New?

When I coached high school basketball, I would buy a new tie when district tournaments came along. Unfortunately, I didn't always get to wear it very long, as my teams were eliminated sooner than I would have liked. As a teacher, I often did the same thing--grabbing a new poster or something for the classroom at the start of the year.

As a professor, I do the same thing most years. A few years ago it was a cactus for my office. I figured I could keep a cactus alive, even through my fifth floor window that might or might not have been washed since the first Clinton Administration. More recently, it was a chute of bamboo. Both are struggling today.

A few months ago, I went with my son's club basketball team to Spiece Fieldhouse in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Felt like a basketball Mecca. While there, I took this photo


I'm not a huge Bob Knight fan, but I loved my first trip to Assembly Hall last winter and am a huge fan of this statement. Haven't seen much better.

Besides some incredibly talented young ballers, I saw one more thing that caught my eye at Spiece. This 1984 photo of Larry Bird and Julius Erving choking each other in a game at the Boston Garden. That's two great champions who wanna win. Who will fight for their team, their family.



What's new this year? And what will you fight for?

No comments:

Post a Comment